Seagull By Ann Cleeves: I am going to provide you an honest review of Seagull.
“Seagull” is a captivating addition to the Vera Stanhope Mystery Series penned by the acclaimed author Ann Cleeves. In this enthralling novel, Cleeves takes readers on a suspenseful journey through the intricacies of crime and human nature, as Detective Inspector Vera Stanhope confronts an old adversary and delves into a cold case that intertwines with her own past.
“The Seagull” by Ann Cleeves is a mesmerizing addition to the Vera Stanhope series that reaffirms the author’s status as one of the foremost mystery writers of our time. With her signature storytelling prowess, Cleeves delivers a compelling narrative that will keep readers on the edge of their seats from start to finish.
In this eighth installment of the series, we find Detective Inspector Vera Stanhope confronting an old adversary, John Brace, a former detective superintendent now serving time in prison. Brace’s past is tainted with allegations of corruption and involvement in the death of a gamekeeper, and Vera played a pivotal role in his downfall. However, Brace offers Vera a tantalizing proposition – information regarding the disappearance of Robbie Marshall, a notorious figure from the mid-nineties. In exchange for this crucial information, Vera must ensure the safety of Brace’s daughter and grandchildren. Brace claims that Marshall is dead, buried near St Mary’s Island in Whitley Bay. What follows is a complex and riveting journey into a cold case that takes Vera deep into her own past, where secrets and lies are buried just as deep as the bodies she seeks.
Cleeves skillfully weaves multiple timelines together, taking readers on a journey that explores the depths of corruption within a tightly-knit community and the fragility of family bonds. As Vera delves into the mysteries surrounding Marshall’s disappearance, she must confront not only her own prejudices but also her unwanted memories, forcing her to unearth truths she’d rather leave buried.
One of the most remarkable aspects of “The Seagull” is the richly developed characters. Vera Stanhope, with her gruff exterior and unwavering determination, continues to be a captivating protagonist. Cleeves has a unique talent for crafting characters with depth and authenticity, making them feel like real people grappling with their flaws and insecurities.
The setting, as always, plays a significant role in Cleeves’ storytelling. The vivid descriptions of the Northumberland landscape and the atmospheric portrayal of the glamorous nightclub, The Seagull, add layers of depth to the narrative, immersing readers in the story’s world.
Cleeves keeps readers guessing until the final pages, expertly planting red herrings and delivering twists that will leave you stunned. Her ability to maintain tension and suspense throughout the novel is truly commendable.
“The Seagull” is a standout novel in the Vera Stanhope series and an exemplary addition to the crime genre. Ann Cleeves has once again proven herself as a master storyteller, creating a complex and riveting mystery that will leave readers eagerly awaiting the next installment. If you’re a fan of well-crafted mysteries with multi-dimensional characters and a compelling sense of place, “The Seagull” is a must-read. It’s a testament to Cleeves’ storytelling prowess and a shining gem in the world of crime fiction.
Also, check out these book sections!
Genre of Seagull – Ann Cleeves
The book “Seagull” by Ann Cleeves falls squarely within the mystery genre. With its intricate plot, well-developed characters, and a narrative that keeps readers guessing until the very end, “Seagull” is a compelling mystery novel that will leave you eagerly turning the pages.
How to get free Seagull By Ann Cleeves?
READ ALSO: Murderville Books In Order
What are the Seagull Characters?
Here is the list of Seagull characters:
- Detective Inspector Vera Stanhope: The unorthodox and determined protagonist of the series, Vera Stanhope, returns to tackle yet another complex case. With her sharp mind and no-nonsense attitude, Vera is a character who leaves a lasting impression.
- John Brace: A former detective superintendent turned inmate, Brace is an old adversary of Vera Stanhope. His past is tainted with allegations of corruption and involvement in a mysterious death, making him a central figure in the unfolding events of the novel.
- Robbie Marshall: A notorious wheeler-dealer who disappeared in the mid-nineties, Marshall’s enigmatic past and his connection to the mystery lie at the heart of the story.
- ‘The Prof’: A mysterious stranger known only by this moniker, ‘The Prof’ adds an element of intrigue to the narrative as a close friend of Brace and Marshall, and a regular at the glamorous nightclub, The Seagull.
- Hector: Vera Stanhope’s father, Hector, had ties to the central characters in the book. As a member of the ‘Gang of Four,’ who frequented The Seagull, Hector’s connection to Robbie Marshall is a key element in the unfolding mystery.
Seagull By Ann Cleeves Read Time
To begin, is a fantastic weekend read. If you’re one who enjoys recharging your energies during the holidays, you’ll find “Seagull” very helpful.
For those eager to dive into the world of “Seagull” by Ann Cleeves, you’ll find yourself immersed in a story that demands your attention. On average, readers can expect to spend approximately 10-12 hours reading this gripping mystery. However, for those who prefer to listen to audiobooks, the audiobook version of “Seagull” offers around 11-13 hours of enthralling narration, making it a perfect companion for long commutes or leisurely evenings.
Seagull By Ann Cleeves – Details
- Publisher : Griffin; Media tie-in edition (November 6, 2018)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 416 pages
- ISBN-10 : 125019332X
- ISBN-13 : 978-1250193322
- Item Weight : 11.2 ounces
- Dimensions : 5.4 x 1.05 x 8.2 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #159,206 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #4,843 in Police Procedurals (Books)
- #7,250 in Women Sleuths (Books)
About Ann Cleeves
Ann Cleeves is a renowned British author known for her crime fiction novels. She was born in 1954 and has made significant contributions to the genre of mystery and detective fiction. Cleeves’ works are celebrated for their intricate plots, well-developed characters, and vivid depictions of rural settings.
Cleeves is best known for two of her book series that have been adapted into successful television series: the “Vera Stanhope” series and the “Shetland” series. “Vera Stanhope” features a brilliant but unconventional detective, while the “Shetland” series is set in the remote Shetland Islands.
Her writing career began in the 1980s, and she has since authored numerous novels, earning critical acclaim and a loyal fan base. With a background in both environmental and social sciences, Cleeves brings a unique perspective to her storytelling.
In addition to her novels, she has received several awards and honours for her contributions to crime fiction literature.
Recap of what we just learned
- Seagull By Ann Cleeves
- Genre of Seagull by Ann Cleeves
- How to get free Seagull By Ann Cleeves?
- What are the Seagull Characters?
- Seagull By Ann Cleeves Read Time
- Seagull By Ann Cleeves – Details
- About Ann Cleeves – A Short Biography
“Seagull” by Ann Cleeves is a must-read for fans of mystery novels. With its well-crafted plot, memorable characters, and skillful storytelling, this book stands out as a shining gem in the Vera Stanhope Mystery Series. Cleeves’ ability to weave together past and present, secrets and lies, and the complexities of human relationships will keep you engrossed from the first page to the last. So, grab your copy of “Seagull” and prepare for a thrilling journey through the heart of crime and intrigue.
If you really enjoyed Seagull by Ann Cleeves, I’d be very thankful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to your friends or sharing it on Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, or Facebook. Thank you!
Have you read Seagull by Ann Cleeves during your travels? Which other books are you currently reading, and how do they compare to “Seagull”? If you enjoyed “Seagull,” I recommend exploring similar books within the same genre.
- The Moth Catcher – Ann Cleeves (Vera Stanhope Book 7)
- Harbour Street – Ann Cleeves
- The Glass Room – Ann Cleeves
- Silent Voices – Ann Cleeves
- Hidden Depths – Ann Cleeves
- Telling Tales – Ann Cleeves
- The Crow Trap – Ann Cleeves
- A World of Curiosities – Louise Penny