Basic Engineering Mathematics 5th Edition introduces and then consolidates basic mathematical principles and promotes awareness of mathematics. In this fifth edition, new material has been added to many of the chapters, particularly a number of the sooner chapters, together with extra practical problems interspersed throughout the text. The extent of this fifth edition is such four chapters from the previous edition have been eliminated and available on website http://www.booksite.elsevier.com/newnes/bird.
The chapters removed to the website are ‘Number sequences’, ‘Binary, octal and hexadecimal’, ‘Inequalities’ and ‘Graphs with logarithmic scales’. The text is relevant to:
- ‘Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
- The mandatory ‘Mathematics for Technicians’ for BTEC National Certificate and National Diploma in Engineering, NQF Level 3 – Chapters 7–10, 14–17, 34 and 35 are needed and, additionally , Chapters 1–6, 11 and 12 are helpful revision for this module.
- Basic mathematics for a wide range of introductory/ access/foundation mathematics courses.
- GCSE revision and for similar mathematics courses in English-speaking countries worldwide.
Basic Engineering Mathematics 5th Edition provides a lead into Engineering Mathematics 6th Edition. Each topic fully considered in the text is displayed in a way that assumes within the reader little previous knowledge of that topic.
Basic Engineering Mathematics – 5th Edition: Table of Content
- Basic arithmetic
- Using a calculator
- Ratio and proportion
- Powers, roots and laws of indices
- Units, prefixes and engineering notation
- Basic algebra
- Further algebra
- Solving simple equations
- Transposing formulae
- Solving simultaneous equations
- Solving quadratic equations
- Exponential functions
- Straight line graphs
- Graphs reducing non-linear laws to linear form
- Graphical solution of equations
- Angles and triangles
- Introduction to trigonometry
- Trigonometric wave forms
- Non-right-angled triangles and some practical applications
- Cartesian and polar co-ordinates
- Areas of common shapes
- The circle
- Volumes of common solids
- Irregular areas and volumes, and mean values
- Methods of adding alternating wave forms
- Presentation of statistical data
- Mean, median, mode and standard deviation
- Introduction to differentiation
- Introduction to integration
If you really enjoyed Basic Engineering Mathematics – 5th Edition, I’d be very thankful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook and pin post images on your Pinterest. Thank you very much!
Did you read “Engineering Mechanics Statics – 12th Edition” on the way? Which one you are reading—and how it is similar to one of this?
- What do you think about Basic Engineering Mathematics – 5th Edition?
- What would you like differently?
- What other ideas do you think to these books that I may have not mentioned?
Leave a comment below to tell us about your feed back!
Related Topics: If you enjoy this book, then there are some more interesting books are given below for you!
Our Android Apps
The Google Play store contains over 3 million apps; some are masterpieces. Our team is also participating in making android projects. If you really enjoy this article, “Basic Engineering Mathematics – 5th Edition” then you should also try some of our educational android apps and support us by giving us rating in Google Play Store, if you love these apps.